Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Constipated? It's never good, more so if you have Diabetes



Remember, having medicines for Diabetes is a narrow way of counteracting it. The idea of this blog is to spread the word about the wholistic approach to control sugar levels and in a natural way. I reiterate that if you bring your sugar levels down by laying emphasis on-eating natural foods and ones that are sugar-free, dairy-free and wheat-free, you can help your doctor with prescribing lesser and lesser doses of medicines for you. Your aim should be to get off those medicines and it is possible! I am not a medical expert or a professional researcher but I write this blog as a patient of Diabetes who has experimented 100% on diet alone to keep the sugar levels normal and for most part of the time, it works. So, I want to share my experience so that you can get tips on how you can go about it.

I don't get rattled if once in a while my fasting sugar which is generally between 94 and 110, very, very occasionally becomes 130. All I do is try and remember what I had eaten and whether my activity was sluggish. I work a bit harder to getting back the numbers that have been dictated by the medical fraternity as  `normal.' Similarly, most of the time my PP is between 97 and 130. Sometimes it is 94 also. I have experienced that Nitric Oxide salad breakfast, recommended by Dr Biswaroop Chowdhury (I have given the recipe in my earlier post) and the Rainbow Salad lunch (recipe given) is really effective to keep your blood sugar levels normal. I don't get rattled if my sugar is low; the body tells you it wants something more. Immediately have an apple or a light, protein-based food. The main reason is the scare of numbers - whether your numbers are high or low, you are told to get them back to that perfect level and that is the biggest stress for you. And to know that you have indeed got back to the perfect level, you are told to prick your finger and test it, sometimes twice or thrice a day. I just cool it, I work on those numbers through the right diet and then check my numbers after a week. I believe in not getting paranoid about this. 

Besides the food that you eat, getting properly digested, the elimination process of our body is of utmost importance. This reminds me of the Bollywood movie`Piku' which shows Amitabh Bachchan as a senior citizen, who is traumatised with his constipation, much to the consternation of his daughter. It reminded me of my dad who was such a fanatic about his toilet regimen that when he became old, he would irritate my mom because of his chronic constipation. Definitely, your elimination system should be in good order and that is very important for countering Diabetes. That's because, if toxins are not flushed out, they sit inside your system and bother your sugar levels. Is there a scientific evidence to this logic? I don't know, perhaps there is none, but I have experienced the importance of not having constipation, to keep the sugar levels in control.

Oil is a necessary component: However, do not panic, like Amitabh Bachchan in `Piku.' I have realised that a diet which is oil-less or without oil does not make your bowels move fast. Thus, you suffer from constipation. Which does not mean that your diet should be heavily laden with oil and fried stuff. Moderate amount of oil is necessary in your meals. I go by Dr Nikhil Mehta's prescription which has really suited me. He says oil must be included in your diet to drive away flatulence and to lubricate the system inside. This helps in the smooth flush-out of your bowels. So, I add Til (sesame) oil or Flax seed oil to my salad and soup. Besides, of course having it in the daily course of cooking in vegetables and dals, as tadkas form an integral part of Indian cooking. Sometimes, I indulge in fried Moong Dal or Besan pakodas too.

Exercise is necessary: Sedentary lifestyle also brings in constipation and you cannot afford that if you have Diabetes. You got to make your body active and moving from the time you wake up. As mentioned in my earlier posts, it is very important to exercise the abdomen region. This can be done through Yoga, Pranayam (breathing exercises with particular emphasis on Kapalbhati Pranaayam recommended by Swami Ramdev), walking up and down the stairs, cycling and so on - basically any exercise which exercises your abdomen.

Importance of water: You can suffer from constipation if you do not have sufficient water. This does not mean you go on a water drinking spree but you must have enough water that your body asks for.

Have a fibrous diet: I quote from an article in Huffington Post, wherein a nutritionist and lifestyle consultant states this about fibrous diet, ``"The standard western diet is one that is high in animal products, such as meat, cheese, and milk, and refined grain products," said Selene Vakharia, a holistic nutritionist and lifestyle consultant. "These foods are not adequate sources of fibre." When we've filled ourselves up on these low-fibre foods, we haven't left ourselves much room in our stomachs — or on our plates — for high-fibre options, explained Vakharia...So why is it that fibre so important to include in our diets? Fibre is key to the processes we use to eliminate waste and toxins, Vakharia said. "It helps to sweep the colon, feed our healthy intestinal bacteria, and slow the digestion of food so that we stay full longer and our blood sugar remains at a healthy balance. Low fibre diets are associated with constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticular disease, heart problems, and weight gain.'' 
I get the fibre from Jowar and Bajri rotis, brown rice, apples, Flax Seeds. You can look up for foods with fibre from Google.

Remember, do not panic about constipation. Work towards eliminating it in a calm and composed manner. I have found the oil therapy of adding 2 teaspoons of Til oil or Flax seed oil in your salad and soups very, very effective. Once your bowels are regulated, they will help in your sugar levels being in control.

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Very good article. If you have one teaspoon of cow's ghee it helps.
    I take it every night before sleeping.
    Thanks for your series on informative articles on diabetes control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Prakashji. Cow's ghee means dairy product so avoid that. I suggest that you should switch over to Flax seed oil or Til oil. Have two teaspoons at night followed by warm water.My two bits

      Delete
  2. Hi ! In continuation with your blog on Easy exercises, you will be happy to read about some research on this . Plz go thru this link & other related references for further info about NEAT or Non-exercise activity thermogenesis : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12468415

    ReplyDelete