Saturday, October 15, 2016

6 Doctors who influenced me to overcome Diabetes

Thanks for the wonderful response to my yesterday's introductory posting.
I would like to mention here that I am not proclaiming any miraculous cure to Diabetes nor am I advocating throwing away medicines that you may be taking for Diabetes. I am only narrating how I have been continuously and relentlessly working towards overcoming it through natural foods since the last two years and these tips might inspire you to do the same. In the ultimate anaylsis, you should know your body - even the best of those modern machines in hospitals fall short of knowing it.That's very important.

 I am only saying, if your sugar levels come down, no doctor is silly enough not to reduce your dose of medicines or insulin. Hence, the first step is to take the help of the right kind of food towards the control and subsequently a possible cure for Diabetes. Even before that, it is of utmost importance not to get into the `herd mentality' that if you are diagnosed with Diabetes it will cling to you for a lifetime. Doctors and people around you scare you that it is the Mother of All Diseases and the complications that follow are of such serious consequences that better to be on medicines, if necessary on insulin your whole life. NO.NO.No.
I decided not to get scared of any fluctuations in sugar level. I decided that I will not take the easy route of medicines. I decided to hunt for the conquest of Diabetes through natural means. Along the way I found some wonderful doctors who served as my guideline. No, I did not join their programmes - being a journalist, I kept on analysing in my mind, all that they said. In later posts, I will explain the final secret that I found to control and possibly cure diabetes

So, in this post, let me give my PRANAAM to all of them.

1. Dr Taruna Madaan: She is my good friend and has her polyclinic in Aundh. When in 2014 I took my blood test and found that I am a diabetic, I straightaway went to her. She patiently explained to me, the importance of diet and exercise. She said, I will give you medicines to bring the sugar levels down, but I have done enough research on wheat to know it is not good for your health. She recommended that I go off wheat and reduce intake of milk. I was thrilled there is a way other than just medicines. People will ridicule you if you say you are off wheat, the staple diet. It also reduces your fun of enjoyment to eat for everything revolves around wheat - bread, pastries, samosa, pav bhaji, pav wada, burgers, pizzas, biscuits and so much more. What will you eat then? I just thought of one thing - any dietitian in a health club also asks you to minimise if not eliminate wheat products from your diet if you want to get back to fitness and slimness. I also thought, I have enjoyed my food a bit too much in life and it is time to modify. Thank you Taruna.


2. Dr Pramod Tripathi: My friend has had Diabetes since the last 10 years. She rung me up and said that Dr Pramod Tripathi (www.freedomfromdiabetes.org) is giving a lecture at the Boat Club. I was so excited as I had heard a lot about him. He is an allopathic doctor and has created waves with his five week programme to bring your Diabetes under control to the point where you need not have medicines.  I remember, the evening before that, my leg had twisted and I was in real pain. I thought I will not be able to attend his lecture. I prayed to God and rung up my Aunt to do a long distance Reiki. Lo and behold, I was totally fine by morning. What he spoke simply fascinated me. I rigorously took down notes (I am so used to that being a journalist). He explained the medical and scientific reasons for giving up on wheat and wheat products and milk and milk products. He spoke about starting your day with smoothie, to have green tea or tea with coconut milk (I have adopted coconut milk tea but later on my diet). He spoke about acidity and inflammation that hamper your digestion, that also adds to your rising sugar leveles. I promptly converted all that I understood into a 18 slide PPT and kept studying it and adopting it.  I am a very impatient person so unable to attend programmes - I would rathr self study and adopt. Best part is Dr Tripathi spoke about 7 minute exercises and said better to climb up stairs for 7 minutes rather than walk for 45 mins. That fitted my schedule so beautifully. Thank you Dr Tripathi.

3. Dr Biswaroop Chowdhury. Despite my change in diet habits, sugar levels used to vary, but like I said I was not afraid so refused to take even an iota of medicines. I just went on a fast for a day or had complete carbohydrate free food for a couple of days; climbed up the Parvati and again my sugar leveles were back to normal. As adviced by Dr Tripathi, I was surprised that once when I took my blood sugar, then climbed up the staircase for seven minutes and after that again checked - I found my blood sugar level immediately down by 60 points. I was really surprised and was further convinced that a correct diet and exercise is the best path to overcome this stupid disease that has taken the nation by storim. As I googled for more help, I stumbled across Dr Biswaroop Chowdhury's e-book which has been uploaded in a pdf form. It is about how you can overcome Diabetes in 72 hours, Fascinated, I read and re-read the book and watched his videos. His Nitric Oxide breakfast and Rainbow Salad for Lunch recipes fascinated me. I have adopted them in my everyday diet routine and the results are simply incredible. Will share the recipes with you. Dr Chowdhury resides in Faridabad. I have never spoken or met him but his insight into Diabetic cure through natural food is fascinating and it is not a rocket science that you cannot understand him. Thank you Dr Chowdhury.

4. Dr Nikhil Mehta: Dr Nikhil Mehta is also an allopathic doctor who runs a clinic on Tilak Road, Pune. His main accent is on Til oil consumption in your diet and his programme of Ayurvedic introductory course of knowing what to eat when, how to eat is very popular. He gave me a tip that oil is required for your body to reduce inflammation within, to reduce gases and bloating, in fact to even reduce joint pains. I went to him for knee pain and I adopted his outlook on the importance of Til oil. Thank you 
.
5. Late Dr M N Sukhatme: Dr Sukhatme was a renowned research scientist and I used to work with him part time, before I plunged into journalism. He used to continuosly talk about the importance of chewing food, the danger of eating outside food, the nutritious value of our Indian food system, particularly the thali. He taught me to think what I had eaten if I fell ill - be it a cold, cough, stomach upset or fever. He used to say - what did you eat? Obviously, you did not digest it so the body is trying to throw it out, some way or other. This guidance was very valuable. Will tell you later how this theme too help me in overcoming my Diabetes. Thank you Sir, wherever you are!

6. Swami Ramdev: Last but not the least, Swami Ramdev's Kapalbhati pranayam has helped me tremendously. I have attended two of his camps and the insight he gave about the food that you should consume and the importance of  pranayam have helped me tremendously. I am a big fan of most of his products. Thank you Swami Ramdev.

Tomorrow: Read my post on my daily diet routine. See you


13 comments:

  1. Thanks Vinita,expressing gratitude and letting others know your experience, is a great gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words. I feel if one share the good things one knows, the society as a whole will benefit. I feel food activism is directly beneficial to people around you. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very encouraging and bold of you to share your experiences. In today's age and times , with information overload and all forms of parallel medical systems available ..making the right choice is an achievement. Hope your chronicles help others too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sangeeta. I am very disturbed with India being termed as a Diabetes capital and the pharmaceutical industry trying to capitalise on it. Hope my tips inspire many. Cheers

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sangeeta. I am very disturbed with India being termed as a Diabetes capital and the pharmaceutical industry trying to capitalise on it. Hope my tips inspire many. Cheers

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and challenges in controlling diabetes Vinitaji!

    Would like to mention - I too personally know Dr.Taruna Madaan & yes she is a very friendly doctor with a vast experience and freely shares her knowledge too.

    Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Sucheta. oh wow. Yes, Taruna is awesome as she is calm and dependable

      Delete
  5. Excellent Vinita. So useful for Thyroid affected people like me too. Thanks. Grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent Vinita. So useful for Thyroid affected people like me too. Thanks. Grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it would be beneficial for countering Thyroid and I feel for all lifestyle diseases. Thanks for your kind words. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling so grateful for your input ! Please continue , it will be a great social work !

    ReplyDelete